What a day, woke up to no power, 3 to 4 inches of wet heavy snow on the roads. Hum, no shower or coffee, no biggie I’ll just drive to work and wash up and get some coffee, nope, got to work and the power was down their as well. So after making the needed calls I headed out for a cup of coffee and restroom, only place I could find was Mickey D’s, at least they do have good coffee.
Then back to the office, close up and head for home until the power comes back on, or so I thought. Trish was having some after surgery issues, so I took her to the Dr’s office, back to work to get servers up, pick up Trish and take her to Melissa’s (the daughters) and then back to the office again. And all this driving on these oh so wonderful roads of icy slush and idiot drivers, better not go there or I may not stop. 🙂
from the local news
FAIRBANKS – A strong winter storm blew through the Fairbanks area about midnight, leaving thousands without power.
A message recorded on GVEA’s help line at 2:30 a.m. said 15 substations and breakers were down and 14,000 people were without power. Residents reported numerous bright flashes and explosions.
• Schools in the Fairbanks North Star Borough are closed again today. Poor road conditions and a widespread power outage led to the decision to cancel school. The district switchboard and website are down, but residents can check the district’s Facebook page for updates.
• The University of Alaska Fairbanks campus remains open. The power on campus is operating, despite blackouts through much of town and on College Road. The university is advising employees and students to use their own judgment whether to travel to work or class.
• The Fairbanks North Star Borough has closed its office and suspended operation for Thursday due to “extremely hazardous weather conditions and wide spread power outages,” according to a notice posted on its website.
The notice states that bus operations will remain in effect. And the borough assembly meeting scheduled for tonight has not had any changes. The borough’s website lists the following operations will be closed today:
• Noel Wien Library and North Pole Branch Library
• Animal Control
• Big Dipper
• Mary Siah
• Birch Hill
• Pioneer Park
• Hamme Pool
• Wescott Pool
• The Borough Administrative Center (opening at 4:00 PM for Assembly Meeting)
So everyone else got a day off, well most everyone else, myself and some others had to work to brings everything back up and keep emergency services.
Got snow ?Share on Facebook